Day 26: things you’d say to an ex
Whoa. This is some heavy shit. I have a few exes, and I’d say something different to each of them. I’m still friends with quite a few of them, which shows that both parties involved grew up at least a little bit.
So, what would I say? I don’t want to go all Adele on them, if you feel me, but there’s still some pain and anger lingering in a couple situations. I’m almost 50 and I’ve been married — to one of my exes, actually — for almost half my life. What’s left to say?
I don’t want to name names or kiss and tell, but here are some thoughts.
- I loved you once, with all my heart.
- You broke my heart, but I forgive you.
- I knew you were gay, but I didn’t care.
- I still think about you sometimes, and always with a smile.
- You taught me a lot about myself.
- You made me so mad I wanted to kill you.
- That was some really mindlessly awesome sex.
- That was some really pathetically lousy sex.
- Remind me again how drunk I was?
- I should’ve called the police after the first time you hit me.
- You’re a rotten bastard and I hope you rot in hell.
- You raped me.
- I can’t believe you tried to kill me.
- How did it come to this?
- Do you even remember our relationship?
- We split and you started dating that cow?
- You don’t marry your rebound, honey.
- That was the sweetest summer of my life.
- You made me feel like a princess and I always remembered that.
- What were we thinking?
- Love is some complicated shit.
- You chased me and then you dumped me, then it was somehow MY fault?
- What took you so long? What were we waiting for?
- I could barely keep my hands off of you.
- I’ve never felt that way before, or since.
- What can I say? The first cut is the deepest.
- We were so young.
- Oh my God, I was so stupid.
- I’ve always wondered what you saw in me.
- I only remember the good times.
The most important thing of all is what I’d say to the most important of my exes:
- I’m so glad you didn’t give up on us.
- You have the patience of Job. I can’t believe you waited this long.
- You were there when I finally landed. Thank you.
- You had a vision of you and me that I couldn’t see at first. I see it now, and it’s beautiful.
- I’m sorry it took me so long.
- I’m sorry I hurt you.
- I’ve loved you so long I can’t remember when I didn’t.
- Thank you for asking me to marry you. I’m glad I said yes.
- I can’t imagine life without you.
- I’m so happy that we get to grow old together.
- Thank you for the life we’ve made together.
And I’ve never loved anyone more than I love you.